Thursday, we set out to go to Grandfather Mountain which way up off the Blue Ridge Parkway in Western, NC. We decided to go here for two reasons, one....we had never done it before and two....my best friend from my youth lives there with her family and we wanted to see them.
Grandfather Mountain is most famous for two things, the black bears and the Mile High Swinging Bridge. Luckily, the black bears are in fences and the swinging bridge was secured in the 90's and the rickety wooden bridge was replaced with steel. It was a beautiful day in the NC mountains and we had a great visit with friends.
Jackson with Mildred the bear. Thank goodness this one is stuffed.
Jackson and Juliana by the bear exhibit.
I think this bear is having a bad fur day.
Aren't they cute??? Can I please have one????
Jackson needs a mountain as his back yard. My Aunt Mary lived on a mountain and we always found plenty to do at her house.
They gave the bear blueberry syrup in the bottom of the trash can. It was fun to see them roll around with the cans. Then, it went rolling down the mountain. Not such a fun game for the bear anymore.
Juliana enjoyed spending time with Gracie.
Will
We made it to the top of the moutain. It was quite a bit cooler at the top. Gracie was a bit concerned about the height. They were all still excited to get to the bridge.
Adriane and me.
Love the view!
The bridge...
This is how high up the bridge is. It was actually pretty scary to cross. Juliana was the bravest in our family. She was a little disappointed that I wouldn't let her continue our to the mountain ledge that had not railing or barrier around it.
Jackson and Gerrit, We did it!!!!!
Gerrit is proving he did this. We were all very proud of him. He has a severe fear of heights so this was going way out of his comfort zone.
On the bridge. It was pretty far down. I tried not to look.
Adriane and her husband James.
Juliana posing for the bridge. If you look towards the top right, you can see the peak you can walk to and look out. People were going across the narrow, rocky ledge in flip flops. I told my kids they could do it someday when I wasn't there to watch.
Gerrit drove all the way up the mountain, hairpin turns and all. This was a big day for him to conquer some fears.
Juliana and Jackson posing in Daniel Boone hats. I don't know why they didn't want to buy them???
James found this error on a t-shirt they had in the gift shop. He is a Latin/English teacher after all.
The shop keepers were very embarassed and pulled them all off the shelf. We all got a good laugh.
(I'll leave it up to you to find the error.)
All in all, it was a great day to spend with friends and nature.


No comments:
Post a Comment